Monday, March 24, 2014

Welcome to the friendly skies

I don't travel much, so I have to ask qurestions to make sure I don't mess up.  I try to overcome my sense of heplessness, and otentimes I get an encouraging response from helpful people.  Today was different.  

Being at O'Hare airport is daunting enough even when you know what you're doing.  I had looked at the departures board and read the information, but it didn't make any sense to me.  I was confused as to which gate I should go to, and a little worried that I might not make the flight on time.  I saw two guys with United Airlines uniforms standing by a counter close by, so I thought I would approach them.  As I did, one of them covered his face in a kind of joking gesture, so I smiled playing along.  Almost immediately, another guy showed up and said with abroad grin, "Don't worry, that was not mean for you."  I laughed a little and admitted I was relieved.  But just as I was about to ask my question, the other guy jumped in saying, "Yes it was!"  I think he expected me to laugh.  I did, half-heartedly, but I left without seeking any help.  I found out what I needed to know from another helpful employee nearby.

I thought about it after a while.  I was upset but I did not retaliate by showing my anger overtly.  I walked away.  That in itself may be considered rude.  But at the time, I felt good about my response.  That's good so far.  But I still let it get to me.  The thought entered my mind to go back and apologize.  But I soon felt it would have been a pretentious gesture.  I had to let it go. Welcome to the friendly skies!

1 comment: