Friday, March 21, 2014

Mamey



I have not had a mamey (mah-may) in many years. It is one of my favorite fruits. Its bright orange color is very appealing. Its flavor is unique and indescribable. I loved mamey shakes in my youth.  It is one of those things that screams "Cuba!"   And to have it while I was on the island made it all the more enjoyable. 

Many things in Cuba are bright orange in color. There is the framboyan tree with its bright orange blossoms which we used to pick and throw at each other in raucous framboyan wars. There is the beautiful sunset seen from the malecón or ocean front in Havana. There is even the orange dewlap of the anole with which it attracts its mate. 

My Goldwing motorcycle is a bright orange color. It is the color of Cuba, and I hope to ride my mamey on two wheels across the island someday before I die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment