Thursday, March 6, 2014

Leaving a hard winter behind


Experts are claiming that more than 90% of Lake Michigan is covered with ice this winter season so far. It's a different kind of sea than where I'm headed. I remember thinking of the lake as the ocean when I first came to Chicago as a child. My uncle drove us on Lake Shore Drive in the city before taking us to his house. We had arrived late at night and it was dark in the last days of October. It seemed cold to us, but we didn't know what was coming.  Winters have been a time of foreboding gloom ever since. My spirit has escaped that melancholy feeling this year. Oddly, it should have been my worst winter ever. But the prospect of this trip has changed all that. I'm leaving winter behind, but I'm leaving a lot of other things behing as well. I'm reminded of the Apostle Paul's letter to the Philliians: "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13, 14 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment