Friday, March 14, 2014

Church Cuban Style


Tonight I gave my testimony at a Pentecostal Cuban church. It was a wonderful experience. Other than a lot of halelujahs, praise the Lords and glory to Gods, it was a theologically sound and comfortable worship experience. The music was incredible and performed by very young people ranging in age between 11 and 30. Guest performers were Rex and Donna Carlaw who played flute, clarinet and oboe.  I was hoping and wondering if I would hear the strong rhythms of popular Cuban music and I was not disappointed. This was a small church (60 in attendance) but with a big heart and soul.   There was a lot of joyous clapping, singing, foot-tapping and other movements!  The pastor was saved at the mother church which planted this one not long ago. But the message tonight was delivered by a woman who was obviously well trained. It was a solid, biblical evangelical message out of Matthew's gospel. The building is a modest corrugated tin roofed space (formerly a patio) that was "slapped together" by the pastor of the mother church who works construction on the side.  He said that for another $3,000.00 US they could add to it and enhance it. I was very impressed by what they had done with such limited local resources. The average salary in Cuba is the equivalent of less than $30 us per month. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Pat, it's me, Donna. Nice blog. I recognize the people in the photos! How are things in Lake Woebegone? :-)

    ReplyDelete