Thursday, January 23, 2014

Focusing on Ideas for Stage Design


Stage Design on a Budget - these photos are from a blog highlighting the display idea in a store that led to a church stage design inspiration.





Since I am a painter by training, I have not had much experience with stage design.  But it occurs to me that this is a crucial component of any church's worship service.  And it is closely related to painting, but verging on sculpture and environmental design as well.

The use of inexpensive, simple drapery and lighting for the setting of a service can dramatically affect the audience.  I have been researching this important element of the arts in worship lately with the thought of bringing some of that information to the conference.  I am also looking into the possibility of getting materials like long sheets of white or light-colored cloth, thin wood lattice, thin/transparent filter materials and other things that are relatively inexpensive and can be used by a local church to enhance the worship environment. Whether it will be possible to bring them along or ship them ahead remains to be seen.

Cubans are incredibly resourceful.  And what better employment of that ability than to enhance a worship service.  So I am sure as I spark the imagination of my brothers in Christ over there, they will begin to discover amazingly creative ways to make due with what they have in this area of the worship arts.  I'm sure I will end up learning from them!

Here are some ideas for church stage design I've come across on the web:

Most popular church stage design ideas of 2013 - last year's best ideas

Worship Set Ideas - a great list of many ideas

Creativeworshipideas blog - a nice blog highlighting various churches' approaches to set design

Redesigning Worship - a nice site with great ideas

Church Relevance - a listing of verious years of "best of" church stage design ideas

There are numerous others.  Just a simple Google search for "church stage (or set) design" will yield a multitude of great sites.


No comments:

Post a Comment