Monday, January 6, 2014

A Productive Anxiety?

I recently read a revealing post by a man who has been plagued with anxiety all of his life.  It was a long and grueling read until the end.  After a gripping account of his struggles that put me as much on edge as I think he has probably felt all his life, I was rewarded with his somewhat positive and hopeful conclusion.  Whatever "anxiety wiring" we are born with, there is the possibility of balancing it with enough encouraging nurture to make us productive and content.  Studies have shown that we all need a little pressure to get things done.  The key is not to let that pressure become so great that it becomes paralyzing stress.

As I prepare for this trip, I am in the midst of that dreadful dance: almost paralyzed by the fear of failure and thus virtually guaranteeing it by the inactivity.  But I  heard an encouraging message Sunday by my Pastor, Bill Hybels.  He said many examples in Scripture point to the way God works to empower us: with just enough of His provision to enable us along the way.  The key is to initiate movement as a show to God of one's faith or trust in His help and empowerment.  We always want the power up front, he said.  But God gives it along the way.

So this blog is my attempt to show movement.  And as I write, I am looking for God's provision along the way.  So far, I see the process working.  I think He is true to His word.

1 comment:

  1. Tio--Very insightful. Your blog postings are encouraging and exciting to read. I am humbled by your willingness to allow His spirit to move you into new and unfamiliar spaces. I am envious of your faith.

    ReplyDelete