Monday, January 6, 2014

It's Getting Real

I will leave for Cuba on March 7.  That's less than nine weeks away.  It will be the first time I have returned to the island since my family left in late 1960.  I was 10 years old at the time, and my most pressing concern was what would happen to my extensive collection of comic books represented by a stack as tall as I was.

It would be a real surprise to find my stack of comic books: the concern of childhood that I no longer have.  But what do I value as much today?  Do I have a different kind of stack today that is just as important as my comic books were back then?    Will I care as much about leaving that stack behind?

We all have stacks of different kinds.  Most stacks are made of things.  But we can have stacks of people, too.  Precious to us indeed.  Sometimes we are forced to leave these behind.  Sometimes just for a short while.  Sometimes for a lifetime.

I'm not sure whether I am reluctant about the possibility of leaving behind any kind of stack, either temporarily or permanently.  But I think if it is true that God wants us to want what He wants, then whatever stacks I have, I have to be willing to leave them behind, for as long as He wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment